Sign-in to your account

Impulse? Dafuq does that mean?

Platypusbill

#0 : 30.01.2013 13:06

Title. Most of the hidden stats are rather obvious and they are acknowledged (but not specified) by WarGaming- terrain resistance, dispersion from movement, dispersion from turning turret, penetration dropoff over range, etc.

But I have no idea what "impulse" refers to-  I saw some NA forum topic where it was attributed to shot distribution within the reticule (which supposedly makes the KV-2's derpgun way more reliable at range than it is on paper and the JagdE-100's 17cm surprisingly inaccurate), but WG claims that all guns are just as likely to hit any specific part of the circle.

Any ideas?

Мастер Моделей

#1 : 30.01.2013 16:43

Unfortunately, I do not know English. Therefore translate with Google.

When I added the information about the tanks (and previously on the site were only model), long thought about whether to add the item "Impulse". Because I do not know what it is. The file with the information it is called "impulse" and refers to the gun.

Thinking, I decided that this recoil guns and still added the line.

When we translate the site into German and Korean, the translators have had problems with the translation of the term. We talked a little bit about it, but have not come to any conclusion. Therefore the parameter in both languages, as in English, is called "Impulse". In Russian, I used the term "Recoil"

Summarizing all the above, I do not know what it is sad

Platypusbill

#2 : 30.01.2013 18:22

Well, if it's "recoil" in Russian, maybe it's just the distance the gun travels backwards when firing?

That is, not really relevant to gameplay.

EDIT: Just checked some values from the USA tree, this is likely it as it seems to increase with caliber. If so, it's probably measured in meters.

.50 cal Browning: 0.08

37mm gun M1916: 0.26

75mm gun M3 L/37: 0.48

120mm T122: 0.68

240mm Howitzer M1: 0.88

They seem to be divided in pretty large categories though, all 75mm-105mm guns apparently have 0.48 impulse, autocannons and machineguns have 0.08, 37mm-57mm guns have 0.26, the 120mm-155mm ones have 0.68 etc etc etc.

EDIT II: The categories seem to be nation-specific though, f.e. the German big guns I looked at all had 0.56 impulse (15cm arty gun, JagdE-100 17cm, 12.8cm L/55), the Russian ones have 0.62 impulse for this category.

Мастер Моделей

#3 : 30.01.2013 18:48

I absolutely do not believe that this is "Recoil".

Because that data looks like this:

<impulse> 0.44 </ impulse>
<recoil>
    <lodDist> MEDIUM </ lodDist>
    <amplitude> 0.32 </ amplitude>
    <backoffTime> 0.1 </ backoffTime>
    <returnTime> 0.34 </ returnTime>
</ recoil>

Block <recoil> just describes the visual effect of the recoil.

We can also assume that this parameter affects the rocking of the tank after the shot.

Platypusbill

#4 : 31.01.2013 09:06

I absolutely do not believe that this is "Recoil".

Because that data looks like this:

<impulse> 0.44 </ impulse>
<recoil>
    <lodDist> MEDIUM </ lodDist>
    <amplitude> 0.32 </ amplitude>
    <backoffTime> 0.1 </ backoffTime>
    <returnTime> 0.34 </ returnTime>
</ recoil>

Block <recoil> just describes the visual effect of the recoil.

We can also assume that this parameter affects the rocking of the tank after the shot.

So it's still likely that impulse has no major effect on gameplay (in which case it's not that important when comparing guns)?

Мастер Моделей

#5 : 31.01.2013 16:09

If this parameter refers to the rocking of the tank after the shot, the entire effect is removed in game settings checkbox. But there is a key word "if"

Mordye

#6 : 19.03.2013 16:10

Impulse is a physics term used to refer to applying a force at a single discreet moment in time.

If you look at the exterior view of the tank when it fires the tank quite often shakes slightly.  I'd guess this is due to the impulse from firing it (as it's in the block of data to do with the firer rather than the effect it has on the target which is covered more by the ammo)

Мастер Моделей

#7 : 11.04.2013 14:48

Quote from correspondence:

"I also might have found out what the "Impulse" value on the data sheet means. Taken from a german WiKi (Source: http://wiki.fbfu.de/index.php?title=Genauigkeit_und_Streuung) and translated for you.

The "Impulse" is a hidden value that is a %-value on how often the gun will shoot exactly in the middl of the aiming circle while ignoring the regualr accuracy values of the gun.

Values vary between 0 and 1 (0 and 100%).

So for example:

Impulse = 0.7 (70% of all shots will be calculated by regular gun accuracy, 30% of all shots will hit directly in the middle)

Impusle = 0.3 (30% of all shots will be calculated by regular gun accuracy, 70% of all shots will hit directly in the middle)

The lower the impulse, the better.

Conclusion: A tank with bad accuracy but good (= low) impulse values might hit the middle of the aiming circle more often than a tank with good accuracy, but bad (= high) impulse values. Also impulse seems to be in effect all the time, even with damaged gun. That's why some medium tanks with good impulse values are able to hit during motion perfectly in the middle of the aiming circle while other, accurate tanks such as some TDs might miss even while standing because their impusle values are bad and thus the shot get's calculated by the accuracy values instead, giving them overall less hits directly in the middle of the aiming circle.

Regards

Thomas"

Platypusbill

#8 : 14.04.2013 12:28

No way. Low tier autocannons would be laser beams if that were true. For instance, the 2cm Breda has 0.06 impulse, shots not hitting exactly where you aim would be an exception.